Thursday, November 12, 2009

Va-Va-Velvet

Velvet is like that bitchy "sort of" best friend you had in 7th grade. Sometimes she is there for you: shopping at Golden East Mall with you, eating endless slices at Pizza Inn with you, cheering the high schoolers on at a Friday night basketball game with you. And then POOF! She disappears from your hip! And then she won't talk to you when you pass her in the hallway...and she tells all your friends you have B.O.

Luckily, I never had a friend like that, but I feel like velvet is one of those trends that is never here for long, so I do not suggest spending gobs on money on it (unless it is on the interior of a finely tailored coat)!

I found this skirt for $19 at a vintage store at 900 Peachtree St. NE in Midtown called My My My Boutique. It has a slight snakeskin print emblazoned in its softness...combining granny material with gritty fierceness (click the photo below for a better view). Grrr! I will wear it with sweet silk tops and drapey necklaces (which I am sure to buy about 109334 from this boutique before the clock strikes 2010). Featured here are Seychelles booties (which I bought for $94, true to my "100andSouth" philosophy!), a $50 necklace by Lucie (no longer in production) and a $10 vintage clutch.


If you're looking to spend on this trend, look to further than lulus.com for this $50 stunner by Theme, a brand I am seriously loving after discovering it at Sonny B in Wilmington, NC.
No need to pair her with chunky necklaces like I certainly will do for my skirt. Instead, this look is all about the right cuff bracelet to make those gold buttons pop (oh dear, not literally)! Look no further than Buttons 'n Such's shop on Etsy for something like this $15 thick trick to bring out the bling:


Leave me some comments letting me know what shoes you'd pair with the navy Theme dress. I'm thinking grey tights with dark grey heels could only enhance this look. What do you think?

*Perk! Get this Banana Republic Velvet Tee Shirt dress for $92.40 (without tax, regularly $132) when you email me! BR, along with Gap and Old Navy, are offering 30% off in-store with the Give & Get Program. If you don't receive emails from these three powerhouses, holler at me, and I'll send you the e-coupon! Offer only lasts 'til Nov. 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment